Personal Statement


 


Human beings are no less than the planets, the comets and even the space station are governed by the laws of inertia.  The quality of inertia is that an object or a person will tend to keep on doing what they were doing before.  According to one of my science teachers, Newton just observed the effects of inertia on earth then looked up at the stars to see what the consequences would be up there. A billiard ball on a table traveled in a straight line when struck with the cue in time as well as in our own. If there is no strong external force to change the inertial pattern of our lives we follow the expected paths through life. In my own case, there is a very strong external force that acts on me and that has pointed me at a higher education in economics and business studies.  This is the general force exerted on me by a close and supportive family and the very particular force exerted on me by the example of my father. Like many Chinese people who left their native land to seek their fortune in another country my grandfather left his home in China and traveled south to Malaysia in the years before the Second World War.  He worked hard and was successful in creating a shipping business, when he took over this business he extended his operations to the export of hardwoods from neighboring Indonesia. 


 


 


 


My father was not the man to sit in his office and let others do the hard and dangerous work.  Instead, he led his crew into the jungles of Sumatra in search of the fine tropical hardwoods he wanted to send all over the world.  Although our family divides its time between California and Singapore and despite the fact that, running a large shipping operation takes a lot of time and energy, my father still does this today. With this kind of example of courage and determination before me there is little doubt in my mind about the nature of the external force that has acted to shape my life and my ambitions. I have applied to the University with very high hopes.  It is my goal to study the history of art in this University, I have received support from my father and my family.  If I will be accepted as a student for the class of 2007, I know that I will continue to work very hard in my classes and that I will make a strong personal contribution to campus life. Moreover, I believe that my personal background has played a major factor in my growing passion to learn about the history of art since, I am a bi-cultural individual and spent most of my life living between the two cities of Singapore and Los Angeles as I moved to Singapore because of the nature of my family’s business and travelled in the South East Asia region .


 


 


 


 


 


As a result, I was fortunate enough to be exposed to the sights and sounds of countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. I grew to love the temples of Thailand, the batiks and ingenious wood sculpture of Indonesia, the music and dance exhibitions and the Southeast Asian art collection in Kuala Lumpur’s famous Petronas Museum. Even with an asian heritage, these experiences were still overwhelming and meaningful to me. Now, I have decided to follow where my heart leads me and devote my last years in college to study Art and History in particular.  My choice of concentration, will be in the History/Art History area. I am a person who has much to offer and is seriously keen on returning back to the society as I would enhance my interest in the Arts by dedicating time to cultural activities in the arts, music and dance realities. I am enthusiastic and optimistic person who looks forward for a good future not only in my academic career but also have better participation in the artistry and cultural ways in the University campus.


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top