Introduction to Food and Beverage Operation


 


Information Interview


            An information interview is an appointment that you schedule with a particular individual for gaining current, regional and/or specialized information from an “insider” point of view. Information Interviews are useful in acquiring valuable information for job hunting and career planning. It can also give information about a particular organization and identify the problems or needs of the employer.


 


Information Interview with Nora Daza


            Nora Daza is a culinary expert in the Philippines. Nora Daza is not just a kitchen guru but also a larger-than-life culinary icon. From her cookbooks, restaurants and cooking show, Daza has enlightened Filipinos and foreigners alike about the world of gastronomic pleasures. Her books are considered as household staples and regarded as kitchen bibles by those who want to improve their cooking skills and produce amazing dishes.


 


Questions:


1. How did you get started in the food and beverage field?


            There is pleasure in giving good food to people. That started it all for me. My incentive was the appreciation I got whenever I cooked for people. That was, and still is, a big high for me. Unlike some who just smell the food they are cooking, I make it a point to taste the food. It’s my palate that really helps me.


           


2. What was your education and how did you prepare for your management career?


            I took up a Home economics course at the University of the Philippines. After that, I got married and had kids. But I wanted the chance to earn my own income. My first job was as a sales agent selling ads to big companies. Later on, I learned that cooking could be rewarding because it made people happy. I earned a Master of Science in Restaurant and Institution management from Cornell University in New York and headed the Manila Gas Cooking School.


 


3. What are the daily duties and nature of your job?


            I have a hectic schedule. I run restaurants in Paris, New York and the Philippines. I also write a number of cookbooks and even host my own cooking show “Cooking it up with Nora Daza”.


 


4. What are the toughest problems you deal with?


            For me the toughest problem I deal with is juggling all my jobs as a restaurateur, writer and TV host. When I opened my restaurants abroad, it was challenging at first to introduce Filipino cuisine to the French and American markets. 


 


5. How did you start your career as a Restaurateur?


            I opened the first restaurant in Manila in 1965. It was called Au Bon Vivant. This place became famous and made French fare such as onion soup, chateaubriand and almond mousse popular among the Manila crowd. The success of Au Bon Vivant led to the opening of two more branches in Metro Manila.


 


6. How did your restaurants became successful abroad?


            When I opened restaurants abroad, it definitely put Filipino dishes on the map. I opened Aux lles Philippines (In the Philippine Islands) in 1972 in Paris. It became one of the favorite dining spots of France’s crème de la crème. It was among the top three Asian restaurants in Paris and was given high rating of three forks in the French guides Gault-Millau and guide Michelin. I introduced many Filipino delicacies and dishes and it became widely accepted. I also opened a restaurant in New York in 1974. Maharlika restaurant was included in the top 37 restaurants in Myra Waldo’s Restaurant Guide to New York City and Vicinity and was awarded four crowns by Pan America. I also became a partner of Mai Thai, a restaurant that offered the best of Thai cuisine.


 


7. What do you find most rewarding about this work?


            What I find most rewarding about my job as a restaurateur and restaurant manager is being able to put Filipino dishes on the map and being able to help people who want to improve their cooking skills. I also find it rewarding to encourage and train my restaurant staff.


 


8. What is your long-term goal?


            My long-term goal is to bring Philippine dishes to the international scene and prove that Filipino food could be at par with other foreign cuisines.


 


9. Since you have managed various restaurants, what do you think are the characteristics of an aspiring applicant for managerial position?


            An aspiring applicant must have extensive knowledge on restaurant operations. He or she must have excellent leadership, management, organization, training/coaching, motivation and communication skills.


 


10. What are the responsibilities of a Restaurant Manager?


            A restaurant manager oversees the daily operations of the restaurant. He or she coordinates activities among various departments, such as the kitchen, the dining room, the bar and the administrative and accounting area. He or she is also responsible for ensuring guest satisfaction with their dining experience. The restaurant manager is also responsible for all of the administrative and human-resource functions of running the business. This includes employee training and performance monitoring.


 


 


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top