Something I Wish I Hadn’t Done


 


            At some time in our lives, we do something or fail to do something which we regret for the rest of our lives. We regret these things but cannot do anything about it since they have already passed by. And so we learn how to best live with it, and thankfully we are able to overcome the problems that come with these things. Over time, we forget that we once did or fail to do such things. Our lives become so perfect that it is hard to imagine that once we did something that we wish we hadn’t done. Yet, sometimes, we look back and think of the ‘what ifs’ and ‘if only.’ Even if at present our lives are almost perfect, we can’t help but stop and wonder – what if I hadn’t done it?


            There are many things that I wish I had not done in the past. Some of them are unavoidable and some of them are simply whims, a passing impulse which we later regret. Some have left marks in our lives while some we barely remember. For this paper, I will chose a situation which I wish I had not done yet the impact of doing it had made me realize many things and in a way had made me a better person.


Something I wish I hadn’t done is stop school for a couple of years. I might still be in school right now, but the time wasted for not going to school for a few years are times which are wasted. It was not because of lack of money or support which made me stop school. It was not because of bad grades or a slow mind either. It was simply that I came to a point where I felt I am already tired of school. I have been in school ever since preparatory. Upon reaching college, I felt like I’ve had enough of school. I thought what I had studies is enough for me to survive in the real world.


            My parents and my friends did not want me to stop school. But once I made up my mind about something, nothing could stop me. And so there was nothing they could do but watch me make a fool of myself. I, on the other hand, never thought I am in for a surprise. I was very sure I would succeed in this chosen path of mine.


            And so when I stopped going to school, at my parent’s disappointment, I started looking for a job. I would buy newspapers and surf the net to search for a job that I like. I submitted my application letters and resumes to various companies. Some of them contacted me, but none really did hire me, for the very reason that I have not finished school.


            I realized that I could get a job even without a degree, but it would not be a job that I would totally like. Nor would it be a job which could make my family and friends like. I realized that for me to get a better job or a job that I would like, I have to go back to school.


            After a year, I went back to my parents and asked them to send me back to school. It was just my unlucky streak that at that time, my mother had to undergo a heart operation and so there was little money left in the family. Much as my parents would want to send me to school, it wasn’t the right time. My parents told me that I had to wait for a few months until they could save money again and send me to school.


            I didn’t lose my temper and I didn’t hate my parents for it. I understood the situation and in a way I brought this upon myself. So instead of staying home and become much f a burden to my parents, I started to keep looking for a job again. I was willing to work for any kind of job as long as I will have my own money and will not be dependent on my parents, knowing that they too are in need of money.


            I did get a job, but not one that I really liked. I waited at a restaurant just to earn my keep. It was not a bad job and I did enjoy it. I did not take the job for granted and in fact did my best while I was working there. I made a lot of friends and I learned a lot from that experience. However, I cannot help but think I could have gotten a much better job if I went and finished school.


            After a few months, my parents informed me that they could send me back to school. Somehow, everything figured out well at home. My mother was recovering well and my parents have been able to save enough money for themselves and for my education. I was really so happy and could not thank my parents enough for giving me another chance at school.


            When I went back to school, I was like a new person. After being through the different experiences I had encountered while out of school, I was able to see and appreciate the value of education. I did my best in school and my parents were proud of me. After graduating from college, I was able to get a good job. I could say that I would not have been here if not for the experience that I had. In a way, it had made me strive for more in my life, knowing that many others out there are sadly not able to get a good education.


            While I was working and earning a good salary, I also decided to take up further education. One could say that higher education has kept getting higher. And I do not mean the price of education. I meant education itself. At first we thought that getting a high school education is enough. But no, it is not enough. And so we go to college. After getting a college degree, and we get a job, we realize that it still isn’t enough. We get a good job, but a promotion or a raise requires something more. You realize that you need to get continuing education. You need to get a Master’s degree or a Doctorate degree.


            In a way, the thing that I wish I had not done is the thing that made me realize how important education is for one to survive and succeed in our world. I wish I had not stopped school, but then perhaps the experience was meant to happen so that I would realize the value of education.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top