Would You ‘Friend’ Your Ex in Facebook?  Name Five Reasons Why You Should or Shouldn’t


            In a short span of time, Facebook became the biggest social network in the Philippines and most of the other countries too. It is very much influential and it creates a lot of linkages between individuals. Not only that you could see your friends and classmates and other school mates, but you also get to be friends with the celebrities, if they accept you.


            Facebook creates a lot of good things as well as bad things to every individual. If you are not wise enough using the site, you can never get away of trouble. There are a lot of ways that your enemies could get you involved in a trouble if you are not that smart. You could even break a relationship with the photos and videos you upload or with the status or wall posts you share. Oftentimes, a Facebook user just needs to customize his/ her settings according to his/ her wishes.


            Going to the main issue of this paper, I would admit that I didn’t removed my ex from my friend’s list in Facebook because we were already friends in Facebook even before the breakup. After the breakup, I actually used Facebook in order to know what’s up with him and his new one. That was really disgusting to do so. That was just some form of a masochism act.


            But, if the relationship ended up long before Facebook rules over the society, I would say that I would never be the first to “friend” him. I would always hold on to my pride and never do that even if his name shows up at the side of the screen, waiting for me to click on the “add as friend” button. It does not mean that I am not over him or whatever. I would just pretend that I haven’t seen his name popping out in the “friends you may know” menu. If I happen to add him as a friend, he may think that I’d looked for his name over on Facebook to finally get in touch with him again. And. If that idea pops out his head, he’d only think that I’m still into him and that’s very ego-boosting. And, I didn’t want that to happen.


            I wouldn’t just add him as a friend in Facebook and tell him that we want us to get in touch again and talk about the lives we’ve missed and be friends again. That way, we would just be plastic. Hmmm…unless if we really did get over everything and if he is a different person.


            Adding him up would only mean that I want to cross a line between us again, know what’s up to both of our lives, determine if the wounds already healed, and if there’s another that could be as serious as you had been once with each other. If it happens that he does not have anyone special in his life at the moment, you may look like you are expecting that the two of you would get back together, forget the odds you had have, and get a life again. Well, that’s just a speculation but that is very probable to happen. And, if it happens that your ex already has a new partner, then you suddenly add him as a friend in Facebook, that may ruin their relationship if he accepts your request (unless the new one is not an insecure type). And, the worst of all the cases…is if he does not accept your request.


            In my case, if I add my ex as a friend in Facebook first and he rejects the request…well, that would be the start of another World War II. Just because we were not with each other anymore means that he would decline my request. Oh, that would hurt my ego if he does it so. It does not mean that because I requested him to be my friend in Facebook, I still haven’t gotten over him. There are still a lot of reasons for that deed. It could be that he’s the only means for me to be in touch with his mother whom I became friends with during the course of the relationship, or it may be because I want to know if how’s their pet dog after we broke up, or worst, if how’s the best friend I had in their relationship (this did not happen to me fortunately).


            All of these things are just speculations on how would he react once I added him, I am not really so sure about these. I just prejudice most of the time when it comes to these matters. However, I believe that it’s a lot better if we think things over in advance. But if it happens that he adds me up as a friend in Facebook first, I would definitely add him then and there. That way, I hope he would expect me to have gotten over the relationship so smoothly, and I would appear as someone who did not make any move to add him up first nor searched for his name on the Facebook social network.


            But, if I’m really that curious about my ex in our afterlife, I would sign up as another user, and he’ll be the first one whom I would add up. J



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top