College years are the most exciting times in life. It is full of options and possibilities. It is important to know what you really want to get from it. You must set your goals as early as possible, but setting up a goal is not enough. You must also set a plan to be able to achieve your goal. Entering college is the last stage in the path of your chosen career. You can envision the fulfillment of your long term plans as you enter in your chosen course. Your dedication and determination of finishing your studies is the key to achieve your personal goals. You may not excel academically but you must engage yourself in the whole college experience.  


When we were young, many questioned us of what we want to be when we grow up. For sure, many of us answered, I want to be a doctor, an artist, a lawyer, a businessman or maybe an engineer and as you go along with your chosen career path your simple goals when you are a child became larger as you forward to its fulfillment.


Honestly, back in my high school days I was undecided of what career will I have going to college. I listened to every sound opinion from my family and friends of what course will I take up going to college. Finally, I made up my mind and pursue a course a I really like.


As I enter college, I’ve got one main goal, just like every college student, I want to finish college and have a degree. I often visualize myself after finishing a degree. At first, I try to adapt myself into my new school, gaining friends with similar interest and joining school organizations so that I could enhance my skill.


 


As time goes by, I made an addition to my goal, by that time I want to excel academically. I also want to learn more about languages and cultures.   One day, as I read a book in the library I’ve encountered an article about goal setting. It said that I must set a timeframe of when will I fulfill my goals. So I grab a pen and paper and write down my short and long term goals.


First on my long term agenda is of course finishing college in time. Second is enhancing my skills in grammar to be able to communicate well both in oral and in writing. Third is having a job that will suit my interest and skills. After that I want to take up a post graduate degree and even a doctorate degree. I also want to have a family of my own but I must be both intellectually and financially stable before doing such.


My short term goals are simple but will also help me in achieving my long term dreams. I want to excel academically, I need to enhance my interpersonal skills, gaining more friends, joining different organizations, reading more books to learn more and having a scholarship. After a while, I had fulfilled my short term goal and so I write one after the other. I don’t really get frustrated when I do not achieve my goals in time, for me it is a challenge to strive more. I also ask my friends to set up their personal goals with a given timeline so that they can monitor the achievements they have and what will be their next step in fulfilling their ultimate goals.


It is important you keep yourself reminded of your goals regularly. You may check your list every month or at least every semester. Every time you check your list, make sure that your goals are still important to you, because you will be wasting a long time fulfilling it and after that you will see yourself not happy with the outcome. Most successful people always set goals more seriously and sometimes impossible, but in the end because of their determination they make the once think as impossible, possible. Many college students after having a degree ask themselves the question, what‘s next after college? If they only set up their goals earlier then it would be easy for them to move into the real world. I doubt if many of them enhances their skills in preparation for the real world. I think after having their degree without planning for long term goals, they will start from scratch in fulfilling their aspirations. Setting up personal goals early will give an advantage.


Do you think I could fulfill all my goals? I can’t assure you of that, but you will lose nothing when you set up goals. Instead, you will be motivated and inspired to reach it as you further move along.


 


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top