Joshua and Angela are in their living room as Angela faces the audience and Joshua comfortably seated in the couch. Angela walks towards Joshua who is taking his coffee while reading the day’s paper.


 


Angela: (In a firm voice) And so, this is it. I never realized this will happen to us. What have I done for you to do this to me?


Joshua: (Stands up and moves away from Angela) What are you talking about?


Angela: Was I never a good wife? (Walks towards Joshua and face him)


Joshua: (Starts to be irritated) Stop it! I am tired of your issues. Tired of messing around out here and getting no place.


Angela: (Exasperated) What do you know about getting anyplace? I am the one who works from pay check to pay check in an empty job going nowhere. And you?


Joshua: And that’s why you wanted me to stay in this house?


Angela: (Calmly) That is not what I mean. I told you, Joshua, I am always a good wife.


Joshua: And me? Am I not a good husband?


Angela: Are you? With what you have done, I cannot answer your question.


Joshua: Then, what is the fuzz all about? (Grabs Angela’s shoulders) Can you not get it? I am leaving you. (and turnaround his back)


Angela: (Angela follows) Leaving me? Ahh… you can never do this to me! (Cold but firm tone) You, coward!


Joshua: Watch your word, woman!


Angela: Sure, just as you buried the memory and sacredness of our marriage as well as our children… your children! Leave us to go with your own path in a world that had no place for you and your woman.


Joshua: Shut your wide mouth woman! Who do you think you are talking to?


Angela: Joshua… the master of this house!


Joshua: Haven’t you done enough damage?  Embarrassing my maleness? Are you not ashamed? A woman who lays claim to marriage?


Angela: Marriage? You said marriage, Joshua? Yes, indeed we are married. But I raised our children and supported you, too without ever asking you for anything except to take responsibility of becoming a good father and husband for the family. But I see now, Joshua, you could never have helped me. It has taken too long for you to become a man.


Joshua: I’ve heard enough. Woman! You will do no further damage. With the powers borne in me as a man, I will leave you for being like that.


Angela: (Calmly but firmly) Joshua. You have no power over me. Here in this house, my bond is my love for the children. No knife, no matter how sharp can sever it. Now, look at you… a loser!


Joshua: Away with you, woman. Out of my sight! (Walks away from Angela)


Angela: (Angela follows) Where is your love? I am your wife. Can you not find the love we once have? What have you done with it? And tell me quick before I lose control of myself.


Joshua: Hurt me? Your husband?


Angela: You heard me.


Joshua: (Mocking) How can you hurt your husband?


Angela: And how can you hurt your wife?


Joshua: Can you not get it? I do not love you any longer.


Angela: (Starts to cry) How can you say that? Why are you saying that?


Joshua: I do not deserve you. And you do not deserve me either. The marriage that we have is just for convenience. I am not happy being with you?


Angela: (Slaps Joshua’s both side of his face) How dare you say that to me! I have done everything just to do the job that supposed to be done by you. I never complained. I never said anything against you! Is this all you’ve got to pay back?


Joshua: I was never your partner; I am just your meager husband?


Angela: Because you chose to be one. I gave you so many chances to prove that to me and this family. But what have you done?


Joshua: What chance are you talking about? Leaving me in this house to stay and do nothing? Is that fair?


Angela: Yes. I left you here in this house but I was expecting you to do something that will reciprocate my efforts. Will this make you less of a man?


Joshua: Yes! You made me realize that I am indeed of no use.


Angela: (now sobbing)


Joshua: All these times, I never felt the love that you are telling me. Or even the marriage that you are claiming. But with Catherine, I am more than priceless.


Angela: So, she is Catherine! That woman who replaced me in your life. Now, I finally knew her name.


Joshua: Yes, Catherine made me realize my worth. How capable I am to make a person happy. With you, I never felt that. I am always insecure.


Angela: Because you chose to be one. I told you. It was your choice!


Joshua: No, Angela. It was yours. That is why I decided to leave you.


Angela: Leave as if you do not have your children.


Joshua: I am still their father. And I will always be.


Angela: You are not their father when you choose to depart this house.


Joshua: Why not?


Angela: You choose to leave us. And that clearly means you are cutting the bond that you have with them.


Joshua: That’s unfair!


Angela: And who said you are fair? As their mother, I will never let you take them away from me.


Joshua: I’ll see you in court! (As he faces back and moves out of the stage)


Angela: (Runs towards the drawer of the side table, gets the gun and immediately points towards Joshua and shouts) Now, you go!


Joshua: (Faces back and looked startled) You would shoot your own husband?


Angela: Why not? (Appears to be out of her normal self)


Joshua: Go on… Shoot me! (Extending his hand as if he welcomes the bullet to enter through his body)


Angela: (Totally devastated as she walks closer to Joshua) Now, answer me. Do you love me?


Joshua: (Appeared to be composed and firm yet cannot move in his place) No. I don’t love you any longer, you fool. (A gunshot will be heard and Joshua will be seen take hold of his chest while blood rushing out)


Angela: (Crying and laughing alternately) So, you don’t love me, huh. Then, no one can ever have you but me… only me! Hahahahaha


 


LIGHTS OFF


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top