Leadership


Leadership is a key issue in the development of groups, organizations and nations. Actually, leadership plays a crucial role in the behavioral and management sciences. It receives a lot of attention and is intensively explored. In the case of being too dependent of the group to leaders, there should be measures to be taken down in order to minimize the problems. 


Actually, a real leader tends to look upon their followers as people – their needs, interests, problems, and focus on the personal development of their followers. Followers are not simply seen as units of production or means to an end. But being too much concern can possibly make your members too dependent to you. As consultant and questioned regarding my capabilities of handling people, I would rather justify and say to them that I can still handle the group since I’m just doing the so-called “participative leadership”. This is a behavioral characteristic where leaders try to share decision-making with others both followers and peers. In addition for my defense, I will also state the importance of the prevailing climate within the organization. Actually, climate is a feeling by the members of the group on how they perceive that something should be done at the minute. These feelings can normally be changed within perhaps a few hours, days or weeks. The members get these feelings from their both leaders and peers, formally and informally. Feelings are transmitted to them by how their leaders act and model, and what they praise and ignore.


For example, in my department that needs to provide better customer service. Actually, I may take the necessary actions to help my department start performing customer service better. Thus, in order to make your members follow your orders, there should be a good relationship, goal, better model and clear direction and instruction. It is really nice to work in at ease pace and not pressured by an authoritarian leader.


On the other hand, being close to the group is not really a problem, but being too much close can possibly cause group dependence.  As consultant, I would suggest to focus on the implementation of a new performance management and career planning system. In this way, the innate characteristics of effective leadership will become more apparent which may include motivation, influence, skills, attitude, foresight, direction and vision of the group. Through this, I can help people set aside their differences and help them focus on performing the tasks at hand, or motivate them to achieve the set goals. I will make work stimulating, challenging, fascinating, and fun and instead of making them too dependent on me, I will pull them toward a goal by attracting and energizing them to enroll in an exciting vision of the future. I will also motivate them through identification, rather than through rewards and punishments.


As part of the improvement of my leadership style, I will raise the group’s level of awareness, our level of consciousness about the significance and value of designated outcomes, and ways of reaching them. I will increase my control to them to get the members of the group to transcend their own self-interest for the sake of the team.


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top