THE LOTTERY FORTUNE


 


 


 


 


            I was ecstatic.  My heart felt like it was going out of my rib cage as I parked my car in the driveway of my one-room apartment at Southridge Lane.  The place suddenly felt too shabby for my taste and the whole town of Margate suddenly seemed too boring.  After all, I was Melvin Hawkins, the newest millionaire in America.  The Saturday night lottery draw chose my combination         6-37-41-43-45-47 and made me million richer. My head ached last night thinking of the things I would do with the money.  The meager-paid computer programmer at a local software firm was now wealthier than his stupid boss.  For once, I had something more than anybody else. I felt like ten feet taller. 


            It was almost seven o’clock. The day had been exhausting. I was everywhere, making sure everything was straightened out before I leave.  Nobody else knew about my luck except the employees at the lottery office.  And nobody had to know, not even my greedy mother, who I was sure would go berserk about my fortune.  My ex-girlfriend who dumped me two weeks ago also seemed unimportant now.  I would face my new life alone.  I started packing despite tiredness.  Tomorrow I would be across the globe where I would enjoy my fortune.  It was the only logical way I could think of to preserve the secrecy of my luck. 


            I woke up with excitement the next morning. I took a rushed bath and grabbed my suitcase, the sole luggage I got, got into my car and nonchalantly drove to the airport.  I hardly noticed the ten-wheeler truck speeding the road that time.  I heard a loud bang as the huge vehicle crashed into my car. Then, everything went blank.


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top