This application letter is customized for application to the Princeton University. In reality a three page (750-word) application letter is not required. A one page letter is sufficient. I have however added a 250-word essay required by the college entitled, “Why I want to go to college?” and “Why I want to be a writer?” These are essays required in their application for college admission.


 


APPLICATION LETTER FOR ADMISSION TO PRINCETON UNIVERSITY


May 3, 2011


 


Mr./Mrs.


Dean of Admission


Princeton University


New Jersey, USA


 


Dear :


 


I am writing this letter to express my great interest in completing a four-year college degree in the field of English in this prestigious university.


I am an International Student from Singapore. I completed a high school degree and successfully passed the TOEFL exams.


 


I am looking into a career in writing and I believe that a four-year education in English will help me polish my English writing skills and bring me closer to my desired career as a writer. One of the great authors that I admire came from this university such as John McPhee and F Scott Fitzgerald.


I have attached in this letter the following documents: Common Application International Supplement, Princeton Supplement, Results of Standardized Test and two (2) 250-word essay entitled, “Why I want to go to college?” and “Why I want to be a writer?”


I hope that you will consider this application. I will keep in touch with you within a few weeks to follow up on the status of my application.


Sincerely,


Norah Lee


 


 Why I want to go to college?


I want to go to college because I want to discover and use my talents and potentials. The field that I am interested to study is a four-year English course. I am not a native English speaker but in our country, English is used as a medium of instruction in preparatory schools and in the universities. Since then my fascination for the English language started. I began to explore the beauty of the language not only as a medium of exchange in conversation and formal engagements but also in reading English literatures. Reading for me is a cathartic endeavor of the mind and imagination. I love reading because I love the sound of words and how it tastes in my mind. I love reading because it takes me to places and it stimulates my imagination as I travel into the journey with the story. My love for reading has also encouraged me to write too. I dream to become a writer like the famous authors I love. My persistent desire to study a four-year English course will help me polish my skill in the use of English language. As a non-native speaker of the English language, my exposure in the university with native-English speakers will help me practice my communication skills and will place me in a world closer to my dreams of becoming a writer.


Why I want to be a writer?


I am fascinated with words and the English language. I love reading and the only way I can release the creative energies of my imagination is through writing. To write is to be free. To write is to be your own boss. There are no barriers, there are no boundaries in writing, it is the writer’s mind that sets the limit. Writer can own half the world or the rest of the universe if they so desire. Writing is my form of catharsis. I write when I am happy, when I am sad, when I am in pain, when I am frustrated or when I have nothing else to do. Writing sometimes has become a form of obsession for me that it has become deeply integrated into my lifestyle. Writing is also an activity that suits my personality because I am not just a ‘people-person’. I’d always thought that writing is a good thing for people who do not like to be with people at all. And that is me. I am happy being alone. The solitary confinement of writing is a wonderful thing to be away from the noisy confusion of life.


Website visited: http://www.princeton.edu/admission/applyingforadmission/ and http://www.princeton.edu/admission/pdfs/How_to_Apply_10.pdf



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top