LLM International Commercial Law Dissertation Proposal (September Intake)


Name:


Dissertation Topic:


To what extent do WTO trade regulations promote Less Developed Countries’ economic development (and reduce poverty)?


    A critical evaluation of the effectiveness of WTO trade regulations


 


I chose this topic due to a variety of reasons.


First, I have come from an economic background before I joined the LLM ICM course. I would like to use my knowledge of economics to help with the understanding of laws. This topic requires some degrees of understanding of economic concepts and it will be an interesting and constructive research that combines law and economics together.  It is also a fresh idea to determine whether a piece of legislation is efficient with economic principles.


 


Second, I come from China, which is a LDC, and I am interested in the economic development of the LDCs in recent years under the promotion of WTO. However, there is an uneven trend of growth across different countries, and I would like to explore the reasons behind such phenomenon.


 


Third, this topic has real life implications, since growth, development and poverty are the most important issues facing developing countries nowadays.


 


 


Aim of Research:


In this dissertation I am aiming to identify the limitations and weakness of the WTO regulation already in force and problems arises from it. Although the WTO has brought economic growth to certain countries, there are still countries that suffer from poverty and poverty related problem, such as poor literacy rate, mal-nutrition and AIDs, etc. There is uneven bargaining power between the developed and developing countries which diminishes the benefit of trade for the developing countries.   At the end of my research I aim to find constructive and practical solutions that could contribute to the improvement of the regulations in order to promote LDCs’ economic development.


 


Literature Review:


 


There are a few countries that I have particular interest on and they are typical growing LDC economies, such as China, India, Bangladesh and South Africa. Each of the country’s economy has their own characteristics and had different patterns of growth / development[1] since their adoption of the WTO trade regulations. Through the examination of the similarities and differences of their growth / development pattern I aim to evaluate the effectiveness of the trade regulations of the WTO.


 


 


Methodology:


 


The research method I will use is Critical legal study combining with the research tradition of Law and Economics.


I will be mainly using secondary data published in journals, newspapers, text books and official database (including websites), since it is not economically viable for me to obtain primary data myself.


The main focus will be on qualitative data with selective use of quantitative data to enhance the argument.


If it is possible I would also like to conduct surveys and interviews as my data collection methods.


 


My research can be divided into mainly 4 stages


1st Stage: Literature review and data gathering


During this stage, I will be mainly gathering information from all possible sources. Apart from reading published materials, if it is possible, I would like to contact economists in the above countries mentioned, as they know better about the problems facing their own country, and would be able to give insightful comments on the problems facing their own country in respect of the WTO trade regulations and their local solutions to the problems raised.  Interviews tapes and videos can also be my sources of information.


 


2nd Stage: Literature and data analysing and Theory formulation


This is the stage for me to consider all the information I have gathered and form my own opinion on the issues; if possible, to establish a model to explain my theory.


 


3rd Stage: Solution proposition


I will draw a conclusion of my research project and hopefully propose one or more practical solutions to the research question.


 


4th Stage: Research project Review


This is the final stage of my research, I will revisit all the information I have gathered and double check the accuracy of the data and make sure all cited materials are referenced. Then I shall consider the research topic from another angel to see I can reach the same conclusion. I shall not expect to reach the same conclusion, since my data collection and analysis techniques could vary, and there might be new information published since I first started my research. If it is the case, I shall add these new information and potential new conclusions in my research as an add hoc factor to enhance my project.


 


 


 


 


Bibliography


 


[1] Note that economic growth and development are two different concepts. Development is based on growth.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top