Occupation: Human Resource Manager

 


K1 My strength – Psychology


Psychology as pertaining to the study of human behavior and mental processes happens to be my favorite subject that had engulf much of my interest ever since it struck my senses.  With the above average grade I have accounted myself in the psychology and to the other psychology related subjects I had finished there is always a sense of accomplishment on my part being able to do my best to deserve the grade.  It is the subject where I set myself to focus on and to constantly challenge myself to do the best and be the best I can, not only to deserve high grades but for me to develop a deeper understanding on the subject matter in its broad context.  Little by little, I have loved the subject as I consider it to be very valuable and indispensable part of my life wherein its applications can contribute a lot in dealing with everyday activities.  Like for example, being able to understand people on how they deal with things and the means in which they would resort to solutions, whether or not, it is the best solution or just a temporary means to alleviate their problem.  Obviously, psychology as a very basic subject in the field of human resource would provide me with in-depth knowledge on how to be a good human resource manager in the future considering the fact that I would know the basic essentials in the realms of human resource management. The study of psychology can aid and equip me with the necessary understanding as to how the human resources behave in an organization and the underlying factors that should be put into consideration before implementing and planning for changes.  As humans, to be able to pinpoint the aspects that is immeasurable or not that quantifiable is where the field of psychology would work as its best.  Thus, with psychology as my knowledge strength in pursuing a career in the human resources, I am confident that I will be able to gauge myself well and be competent enough to handle the dealings of being a human resource manager.


 


K2 My weakness – Mathematics


Ever since I was a child, mathematics has always been my waterloo and my Achilles’ heel so to speak.  From grade school up until college, I have a hard time figuring out what to do to be able to expound my mathematical knowledge.  Mathematics may not had required me much to learn since almost everything is based on formulas and equations, but nevertheless, it had consumed my time in analyzing without getting the desired result, although, there proves to be an improvement.  My grades in mathematics were fair and as compared with the other subjects, it is the subject where I usually get low grades and at the worst case I even failed a couple of times in that subject area.  Luckily, in human resource management, the application of mathematics is not that required and maybe one of the reasons why I did not chose to have a career in engineering because I do know that I am barely competent to the fields where it entails great mathematical knowledge.


 


S1 My strength – Active Listening


            To be great in psychology and excel in the field of human resource management where it has been a strict prerequisite to develop a skill to be a good listener is critical.  Human resource managers not only requires to be great in planning but unknown to everybody, has the responsibility to not only provide means in which to maximize the use of human resources but also the most important role of being an excellent human resource manager is to foster holistic growth to the human resources in the workplace such that they can better reach their maximum potential which in the long run would benefit the whole organization.  Prior to the provisions that human resource manager must foster, the need to listen to the pulse of the workforce is apparent since it is from them the human resource manager must draw the necessary aspects that needs to be reinforced and improved in the facet of getting more from the workforce.  Being an active listener, it would enable me to design programs that would extremely benefit the workforce, thus, providing them with intrinsic motivational factors that would in turn, make them satisfied in their jobs.  The empathy I have for people would enable me also to improve on my active listening skills and to further be good at it.


 


S2 My weakness – Instructing


            Given my active listening skill, I will have a hard time to express that kind of skill when I am weak in instructing.  My weakness in instructing is brought about by the fact that I learn things often by myself but with consultation of course to the people who know best.  In fact, I even regard myself to be more of an observant learner being able to learn things my way.  Other than that, my patience in instructing is considerable low which sometimes leads me let other people to the instructing for me.  But I know to be a good human resource manager, the need for improvement in the instructing weakness should gradually be minimized because as being a manager it would really require me to instruct other people and exhibit to them the importance of giving a clear and precise instruction that would be understandable enough for everyone to follow.  Perhaps, I can overcome this weakness by stressing my patience as much as possible to the highest point so that I can give instructions correctly for others to correctly follow as well.  Most especially, I can never assume that others are the same like me that they are an observant learner.


 


A1 My strength – Written Expression


 


            The fact that my one of my weaknesses is the inability to convey expressions orally, the substitute means in which I can express myself more openly is through written expression.  Written expression serves to be an ally that helps me express the inner feeling and thoughts that I cannot orally expressed.  There was even a time, that I cannot say I am sorry to my mother verbally, but I instead wrote it for me to be able to express it.  Even in school, I tend to get high scores on the written exams than on oral exams.  Simply stated, I am quite dependent and more able to express in written my expression and ergo, written expression has been my strength.  Motivating the workforce I believe does not always necessitates that you have to orally instill motivation in them, somehow my prowess in the written expression could help me make more motivating guidance to the workforce through the power of the words I will be using in the written paper to be posted in the bulletin boards across the halls of the organization that I would soon belong.


 


 


A2 My weakness – Oral Expression


 


In contrary to my ability strength, oral expression has been my weakness.  Basically, my oral expression weakness stems from the way I am being brought up.  Despite that I am brought up to be independent; I suppose my family did not encourage me to be really confident and to overcome shyness in the face of other people. My family is in itself does not emphasize the importance of expressing things orally.  When someone is down, neither one family member expresses orally his or her concern although I know deep in their hearts how concern they are.  It just so happen that my family cannot express the feelings openly. The need to go about to overcome this weakness would be of utmost help in the career I will be choosing because to be a part of a human resource management you cannot rely always in written expressions.  There would be a time that a human resource manager would speak into a large crowd to fully express what it is to be expressed and the inevitable fact that words are more powerful once it is said verbally or orally.


Attachment


Occupation: Human Resource Manager


Tasks



  • Administer compensation, benefits and performance management systems, and safety and recreation programs.




  • Identify staff vacancies and recruit, interview and select applicants.




  • Allocate human resources, ensuring appropriate matches between personnel.




  • Provide current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.




  • Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, refereeing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures.




  • Advise managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommend needed changes.




  • Analyze and modify compensation and benefits policies to establish competitive programs and ensure compliance with legal requirements.




  • Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.




  • Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.




  • Plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate work activities of subordinates and staff relating to employment, compensation, labor relations, and employee relations.




 


KNOWLEDGE


Psychology — The knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.


Mathematics — The knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.


 


SKILLS


Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.


Instructing — Teaching others how to do something.


 


ABILITIES


Written Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.


Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top