Interview


 


How do you feel you fit in with the Australian way of life?


Middle Eastern Response:


1. Having lived in Australia most of my life I have become used to the people, the culture and the way of life. I find many of the beliefs and values to be similar to my personal attitude towards life. I feel I can relate to many aspects of Australian culture and its way of life. However coming from a Muslim and Middle Eastern background I also have my own set of beliefs and way of life. Being able to live my life according to my own beliefs I think is also part of the beauty of the multicultural Australian society.


2. During my first months here, I never thought that I could cope to the country’s culture because as we all know, there is a great difference between our culture and the western culture such as the way we dress and our religion. But later on, I just found out that it is just a matter of respect, if I respect their beliefs, they will respect mine as well. I consider Australia as a country that has a wonderful mosaic of cultures and peoples from different nations in the world.


3. Although they most of the people are saying that Australia is a multicultural country, I can still say that there are still ongoing racism in the country where in, some people are judging us Middle Eastern. Well, most of the people in the world are thinking that Middle Eastern are war freak (laughs) or something like that. But then in the end, it’s how you handle everything.


4. I was born here in Australia, but I was raised by my parents in the way that is based on our rich culture and tradition, and I must say that until now, I never had a problem communicating and relating with other people because of my race. You know, I have lots of friends who are from different nations, and it is fun having a talk about the differences of our traditions and cultures, we learn from each other.


5. I can say that the government is exerting great effort, in order for us to become comfortable with the way of living here in Australia. Well, there are different programs and projects that are focusing on the said aspect. As of now, I am not afraid that my children might forget about our culture, traditions and language, because in their schools, they are being taught about Arabic and Koran.


6. Before, I can say that I have already cope with the culture and tradition of the country, I have learned to accept that our differences can be used as an advantage in order to develop respect, thus understanding. But I can say that the September 11 attack had changed the situation. Some of my narrow-headed schoolmates are calling Middle Eastern names, such as terrorists and devils, although, they are not pertaining to me, I can say that it is kind of painful, to hear that they are already judging our or my race, in general.


7. Because of my long stay here, I became used to almost all of the characteristics and traditions of the country, and I believe that I am already a part of it.


8. All I can say that the most important thing that must be considered here is respect. It is important to value and understand the differences between our culture and the culture of other race, particularly Australian in order to maintain sound relationship. Another thing is that, the current settings of the country, enables each and every one to discover things about life, due to the different religions and beliefs. I have learned so many things from my Australian friends, and I can say that they have learned things from me too.


9. We have to accept that fact that there is racism in the country and it is affecting our daily lifestyle.


10. I believe that Australia is a multicultural country, thus everyone have the right to be proud of his or her ethnic heritage, as anyone else. And that is what I am doing, for as long as I am following the law of the country and as long as I am following the word of Allah or God, then that is all that matters.


How do you feel you fit in with the Anglo-Australian way of life?


Australian response:


1. Very similar to my way of life back home (England), Australia is very laid back (the people, lifestyle), about the same. I feel I fit well with the Australian Culture and its way of life (BBQ, Sport, Beach, etc) because I was born here and practice it. I was unaware about some services like domestic violence services (supportive and authoritative responses) in my country; however here there are many services which are readily available like agencies, police, etc.


2. I cannot see a dominant Anglo-Australian culture in the country, because I believe that the country is a successful mixture of all cultures. I can say that the country gives me freedom that can be considered as the defining point of the Australian culture.


3. I believe that I cannot participate in the Anglo-Australian way of life because I believe that Australia is the only country in the world that is open for sharing of cultures and traditions, and it must be continued.


4. I can say that the culture and traditions in Australia is almost the same of the UK such as the food and other activities that are related with socializing, that’s why I can say that dealing with the said situation is not that difficult.


5. I can say that the Anglo-Australian culture has a great influence in my entire being in terms of the music as well as fashion. In addition to that, beach craze is also an important matter and I love to surf!


6. The way of living here in Australia is awesome, first is that the culture and tradition can be considered as a mixture of other important cultures, beliefs and traditions of other nations, however, what I like the most is the influence of the English to the culture of the country, from the fashion, music and different activities such as family events and gatherings as well as the beach outing as well as the importance of going out once in a while.


7.  I can say that what I like the most about Australia is that its government has a great focus over the needs and demands of its citizens, regardless of their race. It can be seen in the different services, projects and programs that are available in the country in order to serve a particular need of an individual. This helps me to become comfortable in my country.


8. At first, I thought, I will not be able to cope with the tradition of the country, due to the fact that I have read regarding Australia that it has a mix cultures, so I thought, there will be some conflict. But then, as time goes by, I found out that the country has a rich influence of English in terms of the daily activities and lifestyle.


9. There is one thing that can describe my feelings towards the Anglo-Australian culture, “night life.”


10. You can see it in the way that I dress that can later on affect my entire being. As you can see, I am always wearing pants and other fashion that suits my character and outfit that will make me feel comfortable.


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top