My Last Day at School


 


No more pencils, No more books
No more teacher’s dirty looks


                                                 -School’s Out,


 


Pure ecstacy. Utter anticipation and exhilaration. After nine months of force, rigid order and pseudo-structured time-management as dictated by those who impose rules hardheadedly, the bell rings and I’m free. What will I do with an entire summer vacation ahead of me?  Run, jump, hike, play games, go on vacation, stay up late watching monster movies with my friends,  attend sleepovers, campouts, beach trips, the list is as endless as summer seems on the last day of school. A raucous delivery of these thoughts is jarring my senses.


Let’s face it; it is a rite of passage if you are ascending from elementary to middle school, and even a greater leap from middle to high school.  And the dizzying precipice that is the last day of high school signifies the first time “adult” responsibility appears on my mind, but it’s still quite a long way off.  The important thing is that I’M out. At least temporarily. And there are many things to do on the last day of my school.  There are yearbooks to sign, pranks to be played, teachers to harangue and harass that is all in the name of good clean fun, and there are plans to be made.  New alliances may be built and old rules may no longer apply.  A romance that never could have happened during the semester can now be possible and away from the prying eyes of my immediate peer group. And all this excitement is bittersweet. But under it all, the anticipation, the joy, the hope, there is also dread.  Knowing but not acknowledging that I’m a step away from the so-called adulthood. The tick tock counting down of the days of summer, until finally I arrive once again–tired, humbled and bleary-eyed at another day of school after this summer. But that is a whole other story.


Out-of-control classrooms, last-laugh pranks and papers being thrown at each other as students stampede through the doors after the last bell: those are the images that come to mind when thinking about the things I will miss the time I step out of high school. Yes, I’m quite excited about my last day of high school. It is kind of bittersweet. I feel like I don’t really have much in mind the so-called, “bright future” ahead of me. I’m just hoping to be independent. I kind of despise living with my parents and all, and graduation is something I look forward to to get away from it all.


I have completed nearly 3 months of study, 11 weeks to be precise, and I must say that looking back at it, it definitely has been worth my while. I can’t believe that it’s totally finally over. First I’m up there out of people’s reach but then I go down slowly wishing I could go back up again. Next school year will be so different, not being with people who are always there for me, not being with the people who make me try to do my best, everything. I might not see them ever again, and if I do it will be different, physically and mentally. I’ve looked back at pictures of my 9th grader life and they make me so sad, I’ve seen a few people that helped me shape the me that I am today and that makes me feel better but I at the same time it makes me feel sad for we will part and let go of each other.


The last day of school can also seem like such a waste of time. But the truth of the matter is that there always has to be a last day of school. It is the only way to get to summer! The following are some of the thoughts I have in my mind as to what to do after my last day in school:


      Scout for a summer job to be productive and .


      Make a Memory Book - design a simple little book to fill out on the last days of school. I’m going to include sections for my favorite memory, a self-portrait, autographs, things that I’ve learned, a drawing of the classroom, etc.  I will get creative as long as I can.


      Take up classes that will enhance my talents.


       Clean, clean, clean! – I’ll use the power of my youthful energy in cleaning and grease my body with sweat. I will scrub desks, re-arrange my room, wipe the dusts accumulating in the living room, whatever someone ask me to do! I’m going to write all of the tasks on index cards, pass them out, turn up the music, and get the job done.


      Sign up for a good cause like saving the environment and getting stray cats and dogs out of the streets.


The list goes on, and I’m just hoping for a memorable and bright future ahead of me, even if I consider myself not going into the path most people my age will do—climb the corporate ladder and be a big-shot professional. I see myself as a self-made and self-satisfied individual who will move at its own pace.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top