The Benefits of having a Graduate Degree


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


There are numerous graduates than there are academic and research jobs, and current graduates are deciding to undergo shift to further types of jobs tremendously complicated (Grifths:1995). While an established research record once opened doors beyond the university laboratory, today’s graduate finds that these doors are often shut. The environment in labs and universities is decidedly unlikable as young scientists find they often have little job security. Today’s outlook for young scientists is radically different from that in previous decades. Most graduates will inevitably face a transition into a career other than research in their Ph.D. field. This shift, which is usually financially and emotionally disturbing, eventually represents a waste of training and talent.


            A graduate degree will let me be my own boss. I can have my own laboratory and operate my own research program (Tobias et. Al.:1995). This will also allow me to write funding based on my knowledge and present them to national funding agencies. I can join scientific meetings all over the globe to show my results. At the same time I can be also the main author on papers that will be published in prestigious journals such as Science Nature and American Journal of Physiology.


A graduate degree will also give me an opportunity to teach and train students at the undergraduate and graduate level and postdoctoral fellows (Armstrong:1994). I can work with pharmaceutical firms on the manufacture of new life-saving drugs. I will be able to provide on review boards for granting agencies and journals. I can help shape the future of professional societies by serving on their committees and governing boards. Graduate degree will also provide me a chance to travel both nationally and internationally to attend meetings, present your research, and collaborate with other physiologists. In between a Bachelor’s and a doctoral degree is a Master’s degree. Some schools have a formal graduate degree program, whereas other schools award a graduate degree if I finish my coursework toward a doctoral degree but decide not to complete a research thesis.


A graduate degree gives better career opportunities. Frequently, graduates of this degree will be the person coordinating the lab, as well as supervision technicians and graduate and undergraduate students, for the Professor or Principal Investigator. Should I choose teaching to research, I will have a chance to teach at community colleges and some undergraduate institutions. I might also consider teaching at the high school level, even though additional educational coursework and certification would be required in most cases.  


 


 


 


 


 




Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top