Time Management


 


            By definition, time management is actually the ability to efficiently help give more worth to the time and energy spent with the goal to make life better and easier.  I just moved to the United States and I am currently unable to keep up with the many demands of life in the states. There are so many things that I wish to accomplish, and so many things that hinder me as well.  Financial problems are the first setback in living here that is why I considered quitting school and permanently taking up my job. However, I thought it over and I found out that if I quit, I will never be able to reach my goal of earning a degree.           Today’s youth is presented with a myriad of opportunities, some beneficial, come harmful, but more or less, still great opportunities for young people. But oftentimes, these opportunities are sometimes wrongly understood by young ones like me. Due to the tenderness off our age or the incapability to distinguish between right and wrong, people my age commit offenses which may be harmful or not. Illegal activities flourish in the hands of delinquents; many succumb to serious crimes, violence, and even go so far as to harm themselves. The use of illegal drugs is common to young delinquents. That is why he pointed out to me that I can always make a choice. It is always a question of the choices that we make.


            That is why, even though I am currently studying while working, not to mention I just moved to the states, I am very much willing to learn and continue with whatever I am doing, no matter how difficult the circumstances are. This man has shown me that there is more to just being trapped in something which seems like an unending routine. Now, no matter how hard life is, I know I can cope and move on, because with my hard work and patience, I can overcome all these obstacles.


            I am now currently working while studying. I find it difficult to juggle my time evenly because my studies demand more of my time. However, I could not also quit my job since I have financial issues and I have plans on earning a degree. Therefore, I need to manage my time for studies and work properly. At first, I was difficult to adapt to my set-up. After school, every Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays, I would go directly to the place where I work. Then after four hours, I go home. But I do not sleep yet. I still study for two hours and have my English tutorial after that. It is really quite difficult. My friends are wondering why I look really haggard and tired. I tell them that I still have work and a tutorial to attend to after work. I was quite surprised that my friends did not find my current set-up tiring. They even said I had it easy. I was shocked on how they are able to manage their time properly, and still have ample time to rest. I went on like this for another week. Thinking that I could not go on like this, I decided to quit my job and to focus on my current studies.


            As I was about to quit my job that afternoon, my friend approached me and told me that I should learn to budget and manage my time. I had no idea on what she was saying. I knew I was budgeting my time well. I know for certain that I was not falling behind in my studies and I was still keeping up well with my tutorials. However, I just ended up tired and haggard. He then laughed and said that I did not know how things go in the United States. So then my friend drew a time management table for me. It wasn’t quite difficult, it even looked easy and I had extra time in my hands, just enough to give me rest and a goodnight’s sleep.  It was a really simple plan; I wonder why I never thought of it. He told me to ask my boss to let me have only two – hour duty every M-W-F, and I would supplement the remaining six hours every Saturdays and Sundays, with three hour each. I tried to protest, telling him that I had many things to do on Sundays. He then said that I should work the whole six hours on Saturday then. So I went with the first plan. After which, he told me to move my tutorials at an earlier hour, so that I only had studying left. It would then be easier for me to study after all the work is done and I could then sleep afterwards.


            After trying this approach for one week, I found that I actually felt better and I had more sleep. Furthermore, I could focus at the task at hand since I have no more worries on impending tasks. I also learned that I time management can go a long way for me. Though the tasks presented to me were quite difficult, especially with the linguistic and cultural barriers, I was able to overcome them with flying colors.


            Though now I am still facing many difficulties, I am able to overcome them, especially if it deals with school and work. I am more confident in my approach to earning that degree. I am quite certain that the degree I am longing for is just and inch from my grasp. I know I can help further myself, even if many barriers present themselves. I know I can stand up to any obstacle that may come between me and my dream. At a young age, I have been presented with dilemma after dilemma, but miraculously, I was able to overcome all of them. I am certain, in the near future, I will be able to fully adapt to the new place I call “home”.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top