“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”


        Anais Nin


The February breeze in Hong Kong, 2003, was painfully cold. The streets had a peculiar quiet. The city was in a state of profound melancholy due to the outbreak of SARS.


As I walked home after school, an elderly man slipped and fell in front of me. I hesitated to assist him, telling myself he was dangerous, probably infected with the disease. I was afraid. Still debating whether or not to extend my gloved hand, I saw a woman step forward and help him up. The expression of bravery and determination on her face still flashes in my mind even now. I felt my face begin to burn with shame. I knew I had fabricated an excuse to shirk responsibility. It was so much easier to turn away than to make the least effort or muster the slightest courage, especially when there was no apparent reason for me to do so except a call of my conscience. Like other experiences I had, this experience was deep in my heart for the first few days, but it became shallower and soon disappeared from my mind.


Thousands of people were infected with SARS within weeks. The news on television reported that Dr. Joanna Tse Yuen-Man had died, infected with SARS. She was the first frontline healthcare worker who sacrificed herself because of treating SARS patients at the hospital. As I was watching the narrative of Dr. Tse battling around the clock on television, treating her patients, the expression of bravery and determination on her face reminded me of the woman on the street weeks before.


Despite the years that have passed and my having gone to study abroad in the States, my memory of how Dr. Tse dealt with duty whole-heartedly and courageously still inspires me. Selected by the deans to shoulder the important job of Student Leader, I won the esteem of my fellow students and gained certain privileges. However, the greatest joy comes from fulfilling my duties with my best effort and greatest courage.


            It was my first week as a senior in high school when I encountered my first challenge as a Student Leader. Witnessing two of my upperclassmen friends coercing a freshman from my dormitory off a basketball court, I intended to pass them by nonchalantly, afraid of confronting my friends. As I walked closer, however, the helplessness on his face spontaneously drew me back into that shame of February, 2003. I chose not to take my responsibility this time. I walked to my friends and told them that Jeff and I would like to join. Gratitude appeared on Jeff’s face after the game. With the least effort and slightest courage, I had acquired the first reward of being a Student Leader.


            Dr. Tse’s courage certainly made her life expand to the extent that it has affected my own life. When conflicts between students occur, I do not try to brush them off to avoid trouble. Rather, I analyze the situation and make the best judgment. If life shrinks or expands according to how courageous we are as Dr. Tse said, I hope to be committed to an expansive life.




Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top