I became interested in a career in law since my criminology course on “Criminal Law & Procedure” at the University of Toronto.  I found that being a lawyer and crafting legal arguments could be a challenging and fascinating job.  The law is actually like a jigsaw puzzle in many ways; it is made up of many little intricate pieces called precedents and writing a good legal brief is just like putting all the pieces together so the court sees a picture favoring our client. I would like to negate the belief that a lawyer must be a good liar during a court hearing. I would like to tell the world that being a lawyer is a noble profession that needs proper deliverance of truth for justice.


 I have wanted to be a lawyer of service to people and my beloved Hong Kong because I believe that lawyers must have a sense of social responsibility. I love to serve not just the reachable ones but also those unreachable ones that could be possibly innocent of how the law works and why should be followed in legal aspects respectively. I have always believed that the more educated and professional persons are expected to protect or provide any possible aid to those who are currently in need or have experienced injustice and humiliation.


I always knew such goals require much efforts of the individual: for instance, it is essential to gain knowledge, develop willpower, leadership skills, ability to articulate thoughts and considerations, and importantly – general erudition and the talents gifted by nature. In my opinion, I always worked hard to achieve my goals, almost those which seemed unrealistic at first sight. In my teenage years I participated and won prizes in a number of competitions, such as the Hong Kong Music and Speech Festivals, Inter-School and Inter-House debates, Poetry Writing Competition and so forth. The most important aspect of any rivalry is belief in triumph, and nowadays I can say with confidence, this quality has remained unchangeable up to the present day.


That is to say, I gradually and systematically moved towards my horizons. Day by day, I developed self-organization, discipline, mobility as well as the ability to remain sound in the most ‘catastrophic’ situations.


As student, I decided to participate in school activities and actively engaged into such extra-curricular activities as English Club and Music Club, which I in fact headed in order to bring additional entertainment and fun to my fellow schoolmates. Furthermore, beyond my work, studies and leisure, I also needed to be useful for society or certain community in general, and therefore by today I have voluntary work experience. In fact, I was recently chosen from more than 6,000 applicants as one of the 200 core-volunteers to serve in the 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Equestrian Events in Hong Kong.


As for my knowledge and qualification, my current specialty actually corresponds to the scholarly direction, offered by the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) programme. My criminology studies included theoretical work, research and practice and finally provided me with the fundamental information about the system of justice, social order, administration and apparatus of power. In my opinion, the education I have got is quite enough to comprehend the programme course, but still needs supplementary knowledge. From the University of Toronto I graduated as a Bachelor of Arts, yet my Major was criminology, including criminal justice, juvenile justice and related procedures, from the University of London I am graduating this year with Bachelor’s of Laws degree, which will allow me to comprehend broader legal concepts. In addition, I have been working for more than four years as a Legal Assistant/ Marketing Department Head in the insolvency department, responsible for counseling and interviewing those encountering bankruptcy and financial problems and explaining the principles of debt restructuring. In my opinion, I am pretty familiar with this area, but the today’s stage of my personal development requires of me additional education so that I can become a barrister or solicitor, whose professions I regard as much more meaningful, as they develop the belief in individual and provide them with proper legal advice and solution.


            With the knowledge that I will gain through the PCLL at the City University of Hong Kong and my own fair-mindedness and sense of responsibility, I know I will become a fine lawyer, the kind of lawyer that people will respond to with a hearty thanks.


 



 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top