Life History


 


            Everything has its humble beginnings. Mine’s is as ordinary as everyone else. Now, it is my choice to make it extraordinary. My life history if focused on my academic and professional development because I consider this stage as my most significant and productive. After my early educational requirement, I immediately entered Baguena Training Center in Waterloo and became an Officer Cadet (OBT). I also attended Ghana Military Academy (JSC, Command and Staff Duties) in 1994. These years are considered to be my struggling ones as I am very much expected to deal with both studies and other responsibilities. I was given the opportunity to study in the United States and entered Wharton County Junior College in Wharton, Texas to take up my associate degree, with Criminal Justice as my field of specialization. I eventually continued my persistence to earn a bachelor’s degree with the same specialization in University of Houston in 2004. Because I believe that I still need to upgrade my knowledge and academic proficiency, I enrolled in graduate school to pursue a master’s degree in Educational Management and Counseling at Prairie View A&M University and successfully finished it in 2006. Now, I am currently in my doctorate degree in Human Services with specialization in Criminal Justice and fervently hope to finish next year.


            Being a Dean’s Lister in Wharton County Junior College and Prairie View A&M University are among the most significant events in my life during my academic years. Aside from these, I was a Research Assistant to Dr. Patrick Mauna, Assistant Professor of English in Texas A&M University for almost 6 years. My achievements during these years include the following research papers:


Þ    The Causes of Juvenile Delinquency on African-Americans in the Harris County, Houston, presented to over 50 participants at the June Colloquial Session for the Track 1, Jacksonville, FL, 2007


Þ    Crime and Deviance Behavior Among Teenagers in the Houston Community, presented to over 60 clients at the Harris County Juvenile Facility -Youth Village Facility, Seabrook, TX, 2005


Þ    Drug Usage Among Youths in Our Society Today, presented to over 30 clients at the Harris County Juvenile Facility – Boot Camp, Katy, TX, 2004


Þ    Sierra Leone and the Rebel Incursion from 1991 –1996, presented to over 60 church members at the Divine International Church, Houston, TX, 2003.


            My management skills were developed during my military days. In 1986-1989 at Sierra Leone Military Force in Freetown, West Africa, I was the Adjutant for the 2nd Battalion with the rank as Lieutenant. As an Adjutant, I am in charge of the general administration of the battalion policies, laws, and procedures, ensuring arms and ammunitions, training of recruits and officers cadets, representing the Commanding Officer in functions when absent, ensuring military personnel welfare, and preparing month payroll updates of all military personnel in the battalion among others. I became a Captain and Adjutant of the 6th Battalion from 1989 to 1993 and 1st Battalion from 1993 to 1995 but still hold the same responsibilities. These years of experience made me reached the rank as Major and Commanding Officer of Camp Charlie Garrison and assigned to work on the following responsibilities: general operation of the Garrison, logistics and training requirements; preparation, production, and execution of policies, procedures, and operational standing orders affecting the Garrison; supervising and providing payroll and human resources consulting for 1000 employees in the Garrison; updating job descriptions, performance standards, mid year evaluation in human resources of employee records with 98% accuracy; cross-training administrative employees and new hires to provide career development opportunities and back-up skills resulting in 95% accuracy on audit reports and other administrative operations; monitoring the submission of performance appraisals, promotions for all employees in the garrison among others. Years after, I became the Site Captain of Wells Fargo Guard Services in Virginia, VA and supervised post security officers in dispensation of duties; details, scheduling, and ensuring all officers adhere to post orders; training newly recruited security officers sent on post; preparing weekly payroll of all employees under my supervision; and approving, over-time, absences, and vacation request of all employees under supervision. I am also an Instructor in Sierra Leone Military Academy from 1986 to 1997 and went back on 2000 until 2006.


            Now, I am serving as the Building Supervisor of Harris County Juvenile Probation Department. I hold the following duties: supervise and delegate assigned areas for over30 employees for the daily operation of the institution; ensure policies and procedures are adhered to all employees; provide training and re-training for all new and old employees; ensure staff-members provide youth activity programs as posted per procedures; evaluate the performance of employees under supervision on a yearly basis; ensure all federal, state, and local statues are abided; monitor promotions for all employees under my supervision; collaborate with department managers to develop employees’ work ethics as per department requirements; develop administrative policies and procedures to streamline institution operations; ensure a safe, secure, and healthy environment is maintained at all times in the institution; deputize Superintendent of any responsibilities when required and others.


            The significant events of my life are documented in my academic and professional development. I am proud to say that I am able to simultaneously maintain productivity and performance. As I continue to enrich my personal knowledge and competencies, I recognize the need to continuously go through the process of learning so as to achieve all my goals that will make my life history more noteworthy.



 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top