Career Aspiration


With regards to my aspiration, I will be moving within 1 year time to the post of  and will be in-charge of the following department: HR, Administration and IT.  The chosen occupation entails the management functions including planning, organizing, directing/leading, coordinating and controlling. These functions are goal-directed, interrelated, and interdependent with each other. These are also needed in dealing with all elements of business – people, jobs or positions, technology, facilities and equipment, materials and supplies, information, and financial resources.


            Planning is very important. It is the most primary and basic process of formulating courses of action or organised behaviour ahead of particular time ( 2003; 2002). It appears to be foundational aspect to effective career management (1997; 1998; 1997; 1995;1994;  1994). While it is true that many people do not always plan their actions, it is important for aspiring managers – like me, to plan. Organisations pay particular importance to the planning ability of every employee. However, whether dealing with the context by which planning is occurring or whether on the individual or organisational level, the process takes place according to the prevailing attitudes, beliefs, and goals that are involved. On this case, the presence of definite course of actions and organised behaviour is important in management. HR Managers have deliberate goals that needed immediate response in the most time- and cost-effective ways possible. In making such, the firm’s objectives should reflect standards of success in financial and competitive performance, as well as acceptable levels of risk and rates of long-term growth ( 2004). The HR Manager then is expected to present plans and interventions on the tasks and the resources to be utilised in achieving the predetermined goals. The lack of formal planning or poor planning process and ability can decrease individual as well as organisational performance (1993). According to most authors ( 2004; 2003;  2002; 1995), managerial strategic planning minimises the potential negative consequences of lack of formal planning or poor planning (i.e. uncertainty). The success of several organisations and people rely on the outstanding ability to plan, evaluate and materialise arrangement in connection to the achievement of goals.


            Organising is the ability of putting similar elements following one or more rules ( 1998). Generally, it includes the specification and distribution of tasks to appropriate components (e.g. people, departments, etc). It is also the assignment of authority and allocation of resources. The practice of organising is crucial in developing inputs to planning, making planning decisions, and implementing strategy. To be effective, however, comprehensive management function in the business must be done in a continuous pattern ( 2005;  2004). Yet, it is argued that the organising process that is to be conducted within the firm or among the individual is dependent on the plans that must be implemented. On the case of a HR Manager, organising includes the development of coordinated efforts and interventions especially in the performance of prescribed duties and eventual achievement of deliberate goals set ahead of time. This is highly needed to cope up with the soaring demand of clients and the industry itself.


            Directing or leading involves the execution of planned and organised activities and interventions for the achievement of predetermined goals (2003; 2002). The task of directing or leading is also connected to other organisational factors such as the clients, the firm’s budget and assets, and all other firm’s resources ( 2004). Furthermore, it is encouraged to adapt participative approaches to directing/leading in order to elicit useful characteristics and elements that are useful for the individual’s and firm’s success level. Also, the development and execution of appropriate leadership style is a vital determinant of effective directing or leading process. In the labour industry, it is still fundamental to study the practicable directing or leading applications to be implemented in accordance to the achievement of individual’s and organisation’s most important motives.


            Coordinating is the regulation of all the various elements needed in the achievement of set goals. It is the integrating and establishing of linkages to diverse elements in order to accomplish harmonious operations and execution of plans ( 2003;2002). Coordinating includes the effective flow of communication. Communication is the link to successful execution of plans and achievement of objectives because it serves a number of fundamental functions (Brown 2001). Among these functions include the management of data and information, its flow, and so on. Surveys focusing on areas of improvement among corporations state that communication usually ranked as key element within the organization ( 1993). (1994) suggested that communication serves four major functions within a group or organization including control, motivation, emotional expression, and information. Communication is needed in a HR Manager career because of the presence of constant meetings and appointments with different groups and types of people.


            Controlling is the task of management in the course of providing positive controls on the efforts of various elements of the organisation such as people and financial resources ( 2003). It has been demonstrated that the emphasis in successful management lies on the man, not on the work (1914 cited in 2003). According to the man’s mind is a controlling factor in efficiency, and has, by teaching, enabled the man to make the most of his powers. A HR Manager must be able to control the future of every transaction so as to uphold the premeditated individual as well as organisational goals. Every action is planned, organised, directed, and coordinated towards a general consensus. The future of every business deal is reliant on the ability of a HR Manager to minimise potential hazards and increase productivity among the labour force. Thus, controlling and all the other management functions mentioned above are relatively important.


            All in all, the management functions discussed above are perceived to be the most important skills/competences required/demanded for the chosen occupation/role. Aside from outstanding scholastic record and personal virtues, these skills/competencies must be cultivated and maintained throughout the period and position as HR Manager.


Strength


            I have very good sense of judgment and decision making skills, which help me a lot to reach to this level at my career.  I am also a good listener and would judge on think once I have the full picture in mind. I am very hard working person and schedule every step at work. I want things at my department scheduled and planned in advance. I do not leave room for things to be done at last moment, or even do not like people or even management member to ask to demand things at very tight schedule. I would appreciate proper timing being given, so things done in right manner and with good quality kick-of. I recognised myself as someone who possesses the strength of the task of coordinating particularly on the case of communication.  (1997) noted communication’s function is essential for cases like allowing employees to conduct meetings, make memos, provide feedback and share corporate-wide information. I believed that the previous exposures and experiences that I gained help me acquired this core competency. Good communication skill was gained from giving presentations at seminars, supplier and customer service transactions (e.g. issuing clear and concise instructions, advising and assisting customers, etc). I am also used at working on team projects particularly during my course. This involved different roles, which have developed my impeccable negotiation and persuasion skills. Considering the significant role of communication in managing human resources, coordinating is among the basic ingredients of my professional success. I also believed to the spill over effects of effective coordinating function like the development of teamwork and successful working relationship. Teamwork is also attributed to the positive effects upon the psychological health and well-being of organisations member ( 1999). Through effective communication, people are motivated to work in unity and towards the achievement of individual and organisational goals alike.


 


Weakness


            One of my weaknesses is that sometimes I take things at work in personal level which might be harmful to me. I tend to be autocratic. This kind of attitude reflects as my weakness in terms of directing or leading. I consider this as my leadership style. Leadership is an important aspect of management. As stated by a few authors (e.g.  1993; 1992), management requires leader’s full participation and involvement instead of designating individual groups who will shoulder all the responsibilities. Furthermore, this also helps in creating a sense of commitment and loyalty (Hill 1991). In the business point of view, good leadership proves to be quite beneficial as aids in effectively meeting job-related demands, creating higher-performing teams, fostering renewed loyalty and commitment, increasing motivational level, and reducing absenteeism and turnover of employees ( 1995).  I presumed that I am the opposite of a favoured leader. I am autocratic which means I tend to be overly manipulative and domineering. I was engaged in an argument in my previous job placement out of my domineering attitude. This attitude hinders the development of harmonious relationship or esprit de corps among colleagues and most importantly on the part of potential clients. I recognised the need to learn a leadership style that will be instrumental on the achievement of my intended career role as well as the development of other important values useful in my future as HR Manager and person as whole.


 


REFLECTION ON MY SKILLS DEVELOPMENT


            While I recognise my limitation of being an autocratic leader, I learned to lessen my domineering attitude and improved my leadership style. I had a petty fight with a colleague in my previous employment. I was asked to lead a team of three (3) in assisting customers on the shop floor. It was during the Holidays where there are a lot of people in the mall. I delegated their specific functions. I asked the one to guide the customers in the places they need to go and the other one on showing some sample of our products being offered. I do the talking all throughout the period. The one whom I instructed to serve as the guide do not know what are the areas to be visited. I scolded him without asking why. We had an exchange of words. After that, I was informed that he was just a new employee and do not actually have sufficient idea to serve as guide provided that it is not a part of his job description. On this incident, I realised that I am wrong. Due to my domineering attitude, I did not ask the side or explanation of the new employee. I immediately scolded him and when he answered back, trying to explain his side, I butted in and prevented him from speaking. From that incident, I considered having a reality check on my leadership skills – from autocratic to democratic or being friendlier. I gradually changed from domineering to accommodating leader. By doing so, I am able to listen on other people’s voices and study the situation before giving my personal judgments. I should have been more lenient to the new employee. With this experience, I learned that autocratic attitude is not actually relevant particularly in working with teams because it hinders the development of teamwork among team mates. Thus, I needed to reconsider other leadership style as option. Now, I am on the process of becoming an advocate of democratic or participative leadership. This is an important event particularly on my future profession because it allows me to think before acting every situation that I am into. Also, the shift from autocratic to democratic or participative leadership will eventually add up to my effectiveness in dealing with different people in the business as it allows me to listen and recognise the importance of every person I deal with.


            Also, I also increased my ability to communicate to people in all walks of life. My previous work experience as Sales Advisor/Supervisor entails daily interaction on people. My work includes advising them on mobile phone contracts, meeting and greeting them, assisting them on the shop floor, convincing them to buy our products, and at time supervising employees and assisting management. These responsibilities enhanced my interpersonal communication skills. Of course, it is expected that a person will get used to the things he/she does regularly. On my part, I am not just used to it; instead I am becoming a better communicator. I believed this is important to my future career as HR Manager because these daily work experiences armed me with the needed confidence and competence in dealing with people particularly on oral communication. Being a good communicator is a plus factor on clients because it portrays an idea of quality job performance. This enhanced skill will be used in persuasion and closing deals to potential clients.


The importance of achieving balance between work and other life roles has also become an emerging topic in the career management literature (1998; 1995, 1999; 1994). This aids the people to focus on the achievement of the goals imposed by the organisation and by his/her self. I developed a strong conviction on the protection of my body. Most likely, I can say that I am a workaholic person. I do not know how to balance my personal life and personal life especially my work. I am always on the go. Sometimes, I skip my meals and do not exercise. This lifestyle that I have is a contributory element to my overall outlook in life. The incident that happened in my previous employment was triggered by my bodily mechanism. That day, I was in a hurry and forgot to eat my meal. I only had coffee as breakfast. I felt irritable maybe because of the fact that I did not actually eat my meal. With this incident and other body signals that I felt, I decided to take care of my body. I went to a gym and registered as member. In this gym, I had regular exercise routine and recommended diet. The development of a strong conviction to the protection of my body illuminates my future ability to effectively balance personal life and work. If I will not take care of my body and maintain a balance on work and life, I will not be very much contented. I might have all the wealth and success in the world but my body suffers, it is useless. This new knowledge will be useful in my future career as a HR Manager because it will reflect on my expected performance in the job. If I am healthy, I will be able to meet the demands of the work as well as my clients. I will deliver their needs properly and satisfactory. This will also have an effect on my ability to establish and maintain outstanding business relationships between me and my clients.


 


 


 



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top