A Turning Point of my Life


 


            While I was almost done ready for work, I realized how a specific quotation wants to talk about.  “Taking things for granted”.  And it just suddenly hit me by way of a passing garbage truck.  Although I didn’t lose consciousness, I had still sustained a head injury that left me laid up, perplexed and disoriented for months of partial disability.  During the first few months of confinement, my senses were all skewed.  I had a blurry vision and sensitivity to light that always keep the blinds drawn.  Music made me dizzy and my brain can’t seem to process the sounds into meaningful patterns in a phone conversation.  Worse, I couldn’t taste my food nor smell my two-year-old daughter’s fragrant hair after being washed. 


            Other senses that I had taken for granted in my entire life became strangers, and I missed them.  Because of the accident, I had been denied the consolation of some keen companions – the written and spoken words, and my sense of belonging.  I also lost my identity, having to spend days in bed unable to care for my daughter.  In just one sudden moment, sense of place, sense of purpose, sense of safety, and sense of peace were all gone. 


            These disconcerting side effects lasted for a few months and changed my life in ways I could scarcely have imagined.  Shame overcame me not being able to speak articulately and embarrassed of the condition that I can’t go farther than my own backyard. 


            During my senseless period, I had asked God why me, why this, why now?  I have truly come to believe that when we’re stuck down by difficulties, God weeps with us.  Heaven had captured my complete attention in a perfect opportunity in my downtime.  Spirituality can be found where and when we least expect it.  I had found divinity through my father’s favorite dish.  That was the first thing I was able to smell distinctly.  I was delighted the very first time I followed the sweet aroma of spices and felt the taste of the food. 


            For the next few weeks, I rediscovered the wonders of life just like a little child.  Following the taste, my hearing came next, then sight and touch.  Each sensory restoration was accompanied by a feeling of enchantment.  I can now bite the ripe and juicy apple, listen to the music, see the bright sunlight stream through the window and of course embracing my daughter in my arms again.


            I was overwhelmed and at the same time ashamed of my appalling lack of appreciation for what had been right under my nose.  We just don’t know how blessed we are until misfortune strikes.  What had happened to me was no more; I swear I would never, ever forget it.


            I know I wouldn’t and I haven’t failed to remember that fateful moment of my life.  All these years later, I make every effort to make each day a passionate, sensuous experience, taking time in savoring life’s God-given gift to us – our senses.  Through the power and grace of thankfulness, you, too, can do the same.



Credit:ivythesis.typepad.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top